Be prepared for screening. Please ensure that all liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on baggage are in containers of 100ml or less and placed in a clear, 1L resealable bag. Click here for more information about carry-on baggage requirements.
What can I bring?
Use the search box or view the complete list (alphabetical) to determine if an item can be packed in your carry-on or if it has to be placed in your checked baggage.
This list includes permitted, non-permitted and prohibited items for flights originating in Canada. For flights originating outside of Canada, you should check with your airline or travel agent for restrictions.
Non-permitted items are items that are not allowed past the security checkpoint. This includes items such as knives and sports bats, as well as items that may seem harmless but can pose a threat to security – such as liquids. If a non-permitted item is found in your carry-on at the security checkpoint, a number of options may be available to you:
- If you have time before your flight, you can consult with your airline and put the item in your checked baggage.
- You can consult with an airport representative as some airports offer a service which lets passengers mail the item to their home or office.
- You can place the item in your vehicle or give it to a family member or friend.
- You can choose to abandon the item (please note that it will not be returned to you).
- Finally, you can turn back from the screening checkpoint and not board your flight.
- Please note that if you leave the screening checkpoint area, you will still need to be screened when you return.
Prohibited items include specific weapons that are illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada. You are not allowed to have these items in your possession, regardless of whether you are going through a security checkpoint or not.
If an item that is illegal in Canada is found at a screening checkpoint, CATSA is required to notify the police. Transport Canada offers a detailed list of prohibited Items for passengers on all flights.
- Our toll-free number: 1-888-294-2202
- The Transport Canada website
- The U.S. Transportation Security Administration's website (for information on restrictions when travelling within the U.S.).